Thich Nhat Hanh: Peace is Every Step, The Pocket, How to Relax, No Mud No Lotus, How to Love (among many many others). Thich is a prolific author and speaker and was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Martin Luther King. He has many talks available on YouTube, including the Art of Mindful Living.
Brene' Brown : Rising Strong, Daring Greatly (among many others). Brene', researcher, speaker, author, professor, has a way of relaying how vulnerability is indeed courage with plenty of research, her own frustration and sassy humility. She has a much viewed Ted Talk and Netflix special. (Her audiobook of Rising Strong is read by her)
Pema Chodron: When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times. Discussion about accepting and surrendering to changes, which are inevitable and often surprise and seriously challenge us. Somehow Pema is able to give comfort and with one of the most anxiety producing elements of living. (also good audioversion however not read by Pema)
Dalai Lama, Archbishop Desmond Tutu with Douglas Abrams: The Book Of Joy
Dr. Wendy Mogel: Blessings of a Skinned Knee: Raising Self-Reliant Children, Blessings of a B-.Raising Reliant Teenagers. A very skilled therapist, author, speaker who has helped countless parents CTFD (calm down:) about pressures to have perfect children and be perfect parents.
Pico Iyer : Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere- writes about less typical productivity
ACT books (acceptance commitment therapy) tools for anxiety:
1. the little ACT workbook by Drs. Sinclair and Beadman
2. The Big Book of Act Metaphors by Drs. Stoddard, Afari and Hayes.
3. ACT made Simple By Russ Harris
1. The Gottmans: The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work (among others).Longitudinal groundbreaking research on relationships.
2. Ester Perel: Mating in Captivity. Specialist on couples intimacy.
3. Dr. Sue Johnson: Hold Me Tight:Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love. Educational and skills based discussion of the importance of attachment in relationships.
Eating / Body Issues
1. Geneen Roth Books: Women Food God, When Food is Love, Why Weight?, When You Eat at the Refrigerator Pull up a Chair (among many others). Geneen is a prolific author and speaker.
Addictions/ 12 Step work/Alanon-Detaching with Love and Setting Boundaries
1. Courage to Change- daily reader
2. Melody Beattie. The Language of Letting go-daily reader, print and digital versions
3. The Big Book- written for alcoholics however could apply for many addictions
4. Ala-Anon's Twelve Steps and Twelve traditions
5. Each Day a New Beginning- Daily Meditations for Women
6. Intimacy in Alcoholic Relationships: A Collection of al-Anon Personal Stories
7. Paths to Recovery: Al-Anon's Steps, Traditions and Concepts
1. Dr. Wendy Mogel: Blessings of a Skinned Knee: Raising Self-Reliant Children, Blessings of a B-.Raising Reliant Teenagers.
2. Dr. Michael Thompson: Multiple books on Adolescence including Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys written with Dr. Dan Kindlon, It's a Boy!.
3. Dr. Frances Jensen with Amy Ellis Nutt : The Teenage Brain
4. Mary Pipher: Reviving Ophelia.
5. Angela Duckworth: Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance.
6. Dr. Christine Northrup: Mother-Daughter Wisdom.
7. Rosalind Wiseman: Queen Bees and Wannabes, Masterminds Wingmen, Queen Bee Moms and Kingpin Dads. Social and power dynamics with adolescents and social climbing families.
8.The Gesell Institute's Child Behavior: From Birth to Ten -This is research based, albeit older, but much of it timeless
9. Dr. Louise Bates Ames :books on Child Development- Multipole Books One year at a time example: Your-Three-Year-Old
Health/ Brains/ Aging/ Menopause
1. Dr. David Perlmutter: Brainmaker. Multiple books on our bodies, nutrition and brains.
2. Dr. Louann Brizendine. The Female Brain.
3. Daniel Levitin: Successful Aging.
4. Robert Sapolsky: Why Zebras Don't have Ulcers.
5. Mary Pipher: Women Rowing North.
6. Dr. Christine Northrup: The Wisdom of Menopause, Women's Bodies Women's Wisdom, Goddesses Never Age.
7. Anne Louise Gittleman: Before the Change.
8. Jolene Hart: Eat Pretty: Nutrition for Beauty, Inside and Out.
9. Dr. Marilyn Glenville: HRT-Free Menopause Breakthrough: New Natural Alternatives. Natural Solutions to PCOS, Natural Alternatives to Sugar (among others).
Inspirational (these books are often intense and include emotionally loaded themes):
1. Tara Westover: Educated. Autobiography
2. Kiese Laymon: Heavy. Autobiography
3. Jeannette Wells. The Glass Castle. Autobiography
4. Maya Angelou: I Know Why the caged Bird Sings (among many other works and poems)
5. Pat Conroy: The Great Santini, Prince of Tides, Beach Music. (among many others)